Identification and Acquisition of Nationality Status

Experienced social workers and lawyers work together to conduct hearings, communicate with foreign embassies in Japan, verify necessary documents, conduct research, and prepare documents to assist children facing statelessness in obtaining citizenship.

Stateless Children

When a foreign woman gives birth in Japan while unmarried or when both parents are foreign citizens, the act of submitting a birth notification to the Japanese municipal office does not automatically grant nationality to the child. Additionally, some foreign diplomatic missions may not recognize a birth certificate for a child born in Japan because some nations follow the principle of place of birth or discriminate against children born out of marriage.

Nationality is considered a fundamental right and is crucial for a child's identity and state protection. Every child has the right to citizenship according to Article 7 of the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

However, just because a child's nationality is listed on their residency card, it does not necessarily mean they have acquired it if notice has not been made to the parent's home country. Failure to report in the home country may have negative consequences, such as difficulty obtaining a passport or going through the naturalization or marriage process. This may cause a loss of connection to the child's home country and could lead to statelessness and difficulties for future generations.

Process from consultation to obtaining nationality

The necessary steps and procedures may differ depending on the nature of the consultation and the circumstances of the family; Children Across Borders (CAB) social workers can provide assistance throughout the entire process, including consultation, birth registration, documentation, research through ISS headquarters, and accompaniment to foreign diplomatic missions and relevant agencies. 


During the initial consultation, a CAB social worker will gather information about the child's current situation.

Proof of mother-child relationship

The social worker will investigate the mother's whereabouts and ensure that documentation proving the mother-child relationship is accessible. If family members cannot be reached, a study report may be obtained through the ISS network and the authorities in the mother's country of origin.

Birth registration at a foreign government office in Japan

The social worker will assist with the registration process in person at a foreign embassy or consulate in Japan, using a child study form that summarizes the child's upbringing history and records of admission to a child welfare facility.

If there is no evidence of a mother-child relationship

If proof is difficult to obtain or there are no formal documents at all, the social worker may explore alternative options such as enrollment or naturalization.


Supporting acquisition of nationality status:50,000 yen -
⇒ This fee includes coordination to other institutions,  investigation of mother and the her whereabouts and accompaniment to foreign diplomatic missions and relevant agencies

※Inquiry and initial meeting (consultation) are free of charge. Subsequent consultations and support may incur a fee. 

Contact Us
Please feel free to contact us. We will protect your privacy.

03-5840-5711  (Mon - Fri 10:00~17:00)